Did I mention I’m moving house? Joke! You’re sick of hearing about it. Well we’re moving tomorrow so it’ll all be over for all of us soon! Virgin are coming to disconnect our internet this afternoon so I shall be living sans wifi until Sunday evening (all being well, please don’t let it be later than Sunday) – the horror!
The one positive about moving house is having a good old purge. I love nothing more than organisation (sad but true) and it feels good to be ruthless sometimes. We’re actually downsizing so now seems as good a time as any to declutter.
I thought I’d compile a list of my tips for having a proper wardrobe clear-out. First thing’s first – this is time-consuming. Sorry, there’s nothing I can do about that but I promise it’s worth it. (If nothing else you’ll be able to justify buying new clothes!)
- Take everything out of your wardrobes and/or drawers.
- Spend time going through each item and separate into 3 piles: keep, try, donate/sell.
- Put all of the ‘keep’ items back neatly and in a way that makes sense e.g. all dresses together, colour coded, day/night, etc. Fold knitwear with arms across the chest then horizontally for fewer creases.
- Invest in some vacuum bags and fill them with ‘keep’ pieces that are out of season. Store somewhere out of the way.
- Try on all of your ‘try’ items: decide whether anything that’s damaged or needs specialist cleaning should be moved to the ‘donate/sell’ pile or whether to pay a visit to your local dry cleaner (remember, once you collect dry cleaned items take the plastic cover off immediately as otherwise the chemicals keep working and can damage your clothes!).
- If any of your ‘try’ items no longer fit, add them to your ‘donate/sell’ pile or consider how they could be customised. Think of other ways to give old pieces a new lease of life: roll-up sleeves/legs, button a shirt up to the top, change the buttons on a dress!
- Invest in proper storage (once we’re in our new place I’ll be buying super thin velvet-coated hangers that mean more storage space and less items slipping off and languishing, forgotten!).
- Don’t forget your shoes! Get them re-soled regularly and they’ll last far longer. If they’re too tight stuff them with wet newspaper or heat with a hairdryer then wear with thick socks to stretch them.
- Here’s a great tip I came across on Pinterest: hang the hangers in your wardrobe the wrong way round, then as you wear items and put them back hang them the right way. Soon it’ll be easy to see which items you don’t wear!
At the end of the day every piece in your wardrobe should make you feel great; if it doesn’t it’s taking up valuable space that could be better used by an item you truly love!
How do you organise your wardrobe? Do you have any tips to share?
Pingback: LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP | Independent Fashion Bloggers
Pingback: Feat : IFM Weekly Round Up & Links À La Mode | Clones 'n' Clowns
Pingback: IFB: Links à la Mode | life/style/flash.
Pingback: ‘Change’ – Links à la Mode - Real Girl Glam
Pingback: IFB’s Links A La Mode liked “Clothing Tells a Story” | The Style Confessions™
Pingback: Links A La Mode « Homes and Heels
Pingback: » Links a La Mode Fashionably Geeked
Pingback: Links a la Mode: April 12 - I Bleed Fashion
Pingback: » Coachella Festival Vita Di Moda